Many of Newburgh’s houses have an interesting history. Some details are recorded here and in some cases an old picture of a dwelling is included. Click thumbnails for bigger pictures
(Photographs and text reproduced from Newburgh Then and Now, by Shirley Clayton, Jackie Kindon and Ailsa Moore. Copyright Newburgh Parish Council)
Cinnamon Nook Some of these cottages were inhabited by bargees who worked on the nearby Leeds and Liverpool canal. In the old photograph the lady is Maggie Gill, the little girl, Jenny Gill and the little boy, Master Gill.
Mr Draper lived in this Length-man’s cottage. His job was to check the canal banks for leaks and to maintain the towpaths.
Three cottages on the canal bank The first cottage was originally the Alice Spencer Inn but is now a private house called The Letters. Rumour has it that the bargees had their post delivered there, hence the name.
Culvert Lane Cottages
These cottages no longer exist but it is believed they were built for canal workers.
Giant’s Hall Farm This Grade II Listed building, dated 1679, is reputed to have been built from the stones of Lathom House in Lathom when it was razed to the ground by Oliver Cromwell.
.Giant’s Hall Farm
Giant’s Hall Farm
The date 1852 is cut into the windowsill of the old basket-maker’s workshop, which faces Tabby’s Nook and which was an addition to the main house. The main house, built before 1852, was designed by Lady Derby for Lord Derby’s land manager.
This was the barn for Doe House Farm and has a date-stone of 1663. It was converted to a private dwelling in the late 1960s.
Doe House Farm was formerly owned by the Derby Estates. It is believed to have been built circa 1600 and is a Grade II Listed building, largely because of the combined front porch and internal staircase, a typical feature of 17th century Lancashire farmhouses. The farmhouse was originally thatched.
This is believed to be one of the oldest houses in the village. It has the date 1555 cut into a beam in the loft.
An 18th century cottage – originally two cottages, then converted into one.
Moss Cottage .