Many of Newburgh’s houses have an interesting history. Some details are recorded here and in some cases an old picture of a dwelling is included. Click thumbnails for bigger pictures
(Photographs and text reproduced from Newburgh Then and Now, by Shirley Clayton, Jackie Kindon and Ailsa Moore. Copyright Newburgh Parish Council)
The Old School House
A Grade II Listed building. Thomas Crane, who became the first teacher at the school, which was for boys only, built the Old School House in 1714. The school and the schoolhouse behind it are now three dwellings.
.The Old School House
Vicarage Farm House This Grade II Listed house was the originally a farm before becoming the first vicarage. It became a farm again and is now a private dwelling.
This farmhouse is now a private dwelling and has been extended and updated. In the 1970s the water pump was replaced by water mains and in 1980, electricity was installed. Prior to this date calor gas was used.
Ivy Cottage A modern house replaced the old one in the 1990s.
The Post Office
17th century, formerly a public house called the Horse and Jockey. It ceased trading as an alehouse in the mid 1800s. It also incorporated a slaughter house, bakery, tailor’s and provisions.
Disputes over the ownership of land required for the building of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal were settled in the clubroom of the Horse and Jockey.
Constance, Dowager Countess of Derby, sold the building on the 15th March, 1920 to Richard Hunter, the then tenant, for £550.
.The Post Office
The Post Office and Tearoom
The church was erected in 1850-51 in what was then the undivided Parish of Ormskirk. It was licensed for worship on 23rd July1851 but may have been in use before that date. On 1st September 1857 the site of the church was transferred to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as the first step toward consecration. Consecration eventually took place on the 7th April by the Bishop of Chester in whose Diocese Newburgh was then situated
The Earl of Derby conveyed the site of the parsonage house on 10th July 1909. The new vicarage was blessed on 10th December 1910 by the Bishop of Liverpool, the Rt. Rev F J Chavasse, at the same time as the new vestry was dedicated.
Church View Previously called Church Cottage, built in 1693. The cottage was part of Lord Derby’s estate. It was sold to William Halton in 1919. He was the church sexton and a bootmaker, whose workshop was in the house known as Stone Cross. Extended in 1980.
December Cottage, Glebe Cottage and Duttons Barn
The cottages were built in 1721 – part of the Lord Derby’s estate. The Derby estate sold the cottages and the orchard to Thomas Barrow in 1919 for £500. The land to the rear was all orchard, growing fruit for the estate, and, presumably, the cottages housed the workers who managed this orchard. Next door, Duttons Barn was used for storing the fruit.