Many of Newburgh’s houses have an interesting history. Some details are recorded here and in some cases an old picture of a dwelling is included. Click thumbnails for bigger pictures
(Photographs and text reproduced from Newburgh Then and Now, by Shirley Clayton, Jackie Kindon and Ailsa Moore. Copyright Newburgh Parish Council)
The Red Lion Hotel
Cross View and The Gables
Grade II Listed 18th century buildings. Cross View was formerly the White Lion and then the Wheatsheaf public house. The Gables was originally the barn and only one-storey high but was converted into a house with two storeys in 1920. It was the Home Guard Headquarters during the Second World War.
.The Green and The Gables
.A Grade II Listed cottage built in 1691, with a date-stone incorporating a Fleur-de-Lys
A Grade II Listed house built in 1741 as the Dower House for Catherine Spencer, the widow of James Spencer, of Woodcock Hall. Left in 1974 to Newburgh Church to be used as accommodation for the elderly residents of Newburgh.
A late 17th century Grade II Listed house. Richard Halton, the village cobbler, lived and worked here in the late 1800s; his son, Henry Halton, was the schoolmaster, choirmaster, organist and Sunday School superintendent. His other son, William, also worked here as a cobbler. The house was sold by Lord Derby to the Halton family in 1920 for £350.
A row of Grade II Listed cottages, brick built in 1878, possibly for the workers at Newburgh Colliery, and now the only evidence of Newburgh’s role in the Victorian industrial era.
Rose Cottage A Grade II Listed early 17th century cottage (previously two cottages) with an interesting cruck frame. These old houses were once built of wood and wattle and daub. The gable end still shows the wooden beams.
The Retreat A late 17th century Grade II Listed building which was once a police station and had a blacksmith’s forge attached.
Woodcock Hall A three-bay Grade II* Listed house dated 1719, formerly known as Newburgh House. Built by James Spencer and his wife Catherine, whose initials are on the rainwater head.
On the outskirts of Newburgh where earthenware mugs were made. The farm house was demolished and replaced by a modern building in 2000.
Mug House Farm