Many of Newburgh’s houses have an interesting history. Some details are recorded here and in some cases an old picture of a dwelling is included. Click thumbnails for bigger pictures
(Photographs and text reproduced from Newburgh Then and Now, by Shirley Clayton, Jackie Kindon and Ailsa Moore. Copyright Newburgh Parish Council)
Higher Lane Cottage
Built on the site of the Ashbrow Independent Chapel which closed in 1841 The chapel now forms part of the house.
Higher Lane Cottage
A Grade II Listed 18th century farm and farm building with a 19th century house at the eastern boundary of Newburgh. The shippon has a date-stone of 1739.
Lathom House A large stone house, built in 1780, originally called Lathom Close.
Ash Brow Cottage was formerly a coach house.
Attached to it is Coachman’s Cottage. The two houses were converted from a single cottage and outbuildings in 1963.
Peter Lathom was a wealthy 17th century inhabitant of Croston who used income from his land and property to provide assistance and education for the poor children of surrounding villages. His name is preserved on Ash Brow Cottage carrying the Lathom plaque
Sherleen and Wayside
Two Grade II Listed buildings. The doctor held a surgery in the front room of Sherleen for many years, patients queueing in the hall to take their turn.
Holly Cottage and Holly House
Holly Cottage was formerly the village Post Office
.Greenhill Farm and Bedford Barn.
Greenhill Farm is a Grade II Listed house, dated 1748. It is no longer a working farm but the land is rented to a local farmer. The adjacent barn was converted into a residence in 1971. It was further modified in 2008.
A Grade II Listed cottage dated 1762.
A 17th century Grade II Listed house, once the Eagle and Child Inn
Saron Cottage, North View, Braden Cottage and Sundew Cottage.
A terrace of Grade II Listed cottages
Old Post Office Farm
This was once the village store and Post Office before becoming a private house in the early 1960s. The original barn is also now converted to private dwellings.
The Red Lion Hotel
A Grade II Listed building, once the meeting place of the Court Leet, which consisted of twelve men elected every seven years to oversee the village. Members included the Ale Taster and the Window Looker. The latter’s task was to oversee the payment of the Window Tax. The old cycle photograph was taken at the time when the three-wheeler cycles were giving way to the two-wheeler.