There are fourteen footpaths within or immediately adjacent to Newburgh. These include a delightful walk through Derby Saddlery up to Bluebell Wood, and paths to reach the canal with scenic walks to Parbold and the Douglas Valley, or to Spencer’s Bridge and Burscough.
There is a map of the footpaths here
The Parish Council has taken some responsibility from Lancashire County Council for footpaths in the village. They use contractors and a volunteer task force to help keep footpaths and signposts clear. Contact the Parish Council (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to help. Any comments about the state of footpaths can be addressed to the Parish Council or Lancashire County Council at http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/
Remember that rights of way often pass through private property so please keep to the line of the path.
For information on local walking groups contact:
- Parbold Ramblers – Contact Jimmy Kelly 01257 463057 or Carole Fishwick 01257 472329 email@example.com (walks)
- Parbold, Newburgh and District U3A Walking Groups: Tony Morris 01257 463712 firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Lancs Ramblers Association www.ramblers.org.uk/west-lancashire Geoff Wright – telephone 01772 812034 email email@example.com
- West Lancashire Footpath Group– www.westlancsfootpathgroup.org.uk
- Skelmersdale Rambling Club – www.skemramblers.org.uk
- West Lancs Countryside events WL Rangers – 01695 622794 www.westlancs.gov.uk/leisure or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walking in Lancashire:www.walkinginengland.co.uk/lancs